Bloomsburg Public Library Internship Week 11

 At week eleven of my internship in the marketing department of the Bloomsburg Public Library involved updating promotional material and helping prepare for events. 

One of my first projects was updating the dates on the Memory Café flyers for July through December. Although it sounds simple at first, it required careful attention to detail to make sure all of the information was accurate and easy to read. I also adjusted the layout so the updated dates still fit cleanly within the original design. Along with that project, I worked on rearranging elements of the library’s 100th Anniversary posters in Canva so they could properly fit different flyer sizes. It was interesting to see how much design changes when dimensions shift, because images, text spacing, and overall balance all have to be reconsidered.

Another task this week involved printing and cutting flyers for the “Caught Red-Handed” Murder Mystery and Psychological Thriller book club. Preparing physical materials may seem like a smaller behind-the-scenes responsibility, but it reminded me how important presentation is for community engagement. And it actually was difficult and took a long time since I'm so bad at using the slicers so had to do it by hand.

One of the most interesting parts of the week was sitting in on a planning meeting for the Ren Jamboree. During the meeting, we discussed how to adapt activities because rain was expected during the event. I got to see firsthand how event organizers prepare backup plans to make sure visitors still have a positive experience regardless of weather conditions. Some activities, like building cardboard dinosaurs using the library’s new chomp saw and playing board games, were moved indoors. We also planned to have the traveling library van present, along with a tent where people could sit and eat out of the rain. In addition, pull tabs would be sold during the event. I found it fascinating to watch how collaborative the planning process was, with everyone contributing ideas to make the event both practical and enjoyable.

My favorite project of the week was creating a certificate of appreciation for the Tai Chi instructor in honor of International Tai Chi Day. I was given a rough sketch that mostly outlined the wording, but I had creative freedom with the visual design. The final version used a black-and-white layout with gold accents and yin-yang symbols in each corner. The certificate read: “The Bloomsburg Public Library and Tai Chi Class Unite To Present This Certification of Appreciation… in recognition of her selfless dedication to creating a welcoming, safe, and supportive environment as we practice tai chi together.” I enjoyed designing something meaningful that recognized the instructor’s dedication and positive impact on the class.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bloomsburg Public Library Internship Week 1

Bloomsburg Public Library Internship Week 2

Bloomsburg Public Library Internship Week 8