Bloomsburg Public Library Internship Week 13
Week thirteen of my internship in the marketing department of the Bloomsburg Public Library was heavily focused on graphic design, communication, and helping promote the wide variety of programs the library offers for different age groups and interests.
One of my first projects was creating a 16x9 promotional graphic for a new Tai Chi for Beginners session. The beginner class takes place from 9:30 to 10:00 right before the regular Tai Chi class, and the graphic also encouraged participants to stay afterward and join the full session if they felt comfortable. I tried to make the design feel calm, welcoming, and accessible to people who may feel nervous about trying something new.
I also worked on several graphics for the Orangeville Public Library children’s programs so there would be promotional material available for the calendar and social media. These included graphics for School-Age STEAM Night and Mobile Maker Space programs. For the STEAM Night design, I focused on making it colorful and energetic to reflect the hands-on activities, crafts, and games that happen during the program each month. The Mobile Maker Space graphic highlighted the partnership with the Bloomsburg Children's Museum and the fun STEM activities children can participate in, ranging from building marshmallow towers to experimenting with robots and electrical circuits. I enjoyed creating graphics geared toward younger audiences because it gave me more freedom to use playful colors and creative layouts. Another task this week involved submitting recurring art-related library programs, like Crafternoon with the Craftcart and Bloom Yarnies, to Art of PA for promotion.
One of my favorite designs this week was creating a “Bingo Summer Fun Family Friendly” header for Facebook and the library website. I used bright summer colors like blue, pink, yellow, and orange along with decorative elements such as bingo balls, sunglasses, a flamingo floatie, and a tropical summer drink. The design was meant to feel cheerful and energetic, and it ended up being one of the most visually fun graphics I’ve made.
In addition to design work, I also helped manage communication for a Kate Price event. I went through the service email inbox and compiled a detailed list of people who wanted to be removed from the attendee list, added to the waitlist for future events, or contacted if spots opened due to cancellations. This task showed me how important organization and clear communication are when handling popular events with limited space.
Finally, I printed and hung several informational posters throughout the library. Some reminded guests attending the Kate Price event to use the downstairs bathrooms to avoid noise disruptions, while others advertised an upcoming Friends of the Library board meeting where new officers would be nominated. I also learned that anyone who donates $100 or more to the library is considered a Friend of the Library.
Comments
Post a Comment